Where Are Those Cow Tales: AKA Apple Caramel Cupcakes Topped with Homemade Cows Tales


This cupcake project took about 4 hours from beginning to end...and that includes the run I had to make to Whole Foods for some dried apples...which turned into a $56.24 excursion! I had a little piece of paper with three items on my list when I went in the store and walked out with two shopping bags of "other duties as assigned" products. At first I was just walking around holding stuff in my arms and soon realized that my stay was going to be much longer than I planned. oh well...it was a cold and rainy Sunday in Washington, DC!

This was going to be a simple...key word here is simple....project, because I wanted to spend some time on my design for my another web site I'm working on. Well, that didn't happen and I just had to let it go. I found a recipe in a cupcake book that's called Cupcakes and Other Goodies, which is sort of dorkie looking and is shaped like a cupcake. Okay, I dealt with that. I found just what I was looking for...and that's when I had to go shopping for the dried apples. I wanted to combine the apple cupcakes with caramel frosting and I wanted to make some Cows Tales to go on top.

I found a simple recipe for the Cow Tales and they were really easy to make...just caramels, butter, half and half, and confectioners sugar...and some marshmallows. The photos above show (1) the caramel ready to be rolled around the marshmallows, and (2) the rolled up "log," and (below) the final product beng sliced after "the log" was in the fridge for a couple of hours. Whew!
Everything turned out pretty much the way I wanted it to go. The vanilla butter cupcakes (from a cake mix) with the diced, dried apples were good...not great...but acceptable. The caramel frosting was so amazing...it tasted extraordinary. The cows tales...or tails...well, they worked. And, one could eat them separately...without even making the cupcakes...or one could just make the cupcakes with the caramel frosting...or one could just go to Whole Foods. It's really up to you! You can see more of the Cows Tales Cupcakes photos HERE.

And, THIS is the newest baby in our family: Aiden Steele (born April 12) with his daddy, Jason (who will be leaving next week for a another tour of Iraq). Jason, Kristi, and Aiden are from Spokane, WA, and are living in Las Vegas....so, say "Hi" to Aiden....and to his daddy and mommy, too. Stay safe, Jason.



Below are the recipes for the cupcakes and the cows tales!

Cows Tales Ingredients:
• 1/2 lb. Light caramels
• 1/4 c. half & half
• 2 tbs. butter
• 2 c. confectioner sugar
• approx. 17 regular size marshamallows
Directions:
• Combine caramels, half & half, and butter in saucepan.
• Heat until caramels melt.
• Once melted, take saucepan off heat and stir in sugar.
• Pour mixture onto buttered wax or parchment paper.
• Spread into a 16x5 inch rectangle.
• Lay the marshmallows end to end along one of the long sides of the rectangle.
• Working with the side of the caramel rectangle that is under the marshmallows, gently
detach the caramel from the paper and roll it over the marshmallows to form a log.
•Wrap the log in paper and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
• When chilled, cut into 1/4 inch slices.
• Try to serve chilled, because once warm, the candy loses some of its dense, sticky
texture.

Apple Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting
Yield: Makes 24 cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) butter or yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
1 cup chopped dried apples
Caramel Frosting (recipe follows)
Chopped nuts (optional)

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 standard (2-1/2-inch) muffin pan cups with paper baking cups.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Stir in apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpicks inserted into centers come out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes to racks; cool completely.

Caramel Frosting

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in brown sugar, evaporated milk and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm.
2. Add powdered sugar; beat until frosting is of spreading consistency. Add vanilla; beat until smooth.

Rock on!

CQ

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:05 PM

    Your Sunday was SUPER productive - YUM! Mine was, alas, not. I sat on the couch and watched the rain fall in Alexandria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. COW TALES!! Oh my lord, I completely forgot about them. I loved them growing up. I can't believe you made your own, now that is awesome. These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:42 PM

    where oh where did you find the cute cows?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:13 PM

    Did you use fancy marshmallows or the ones made by kraft in the bag? amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:53 PM

    Caramel Creams are my favorite candies. I have to make this recipe! Thank you so much for posting and creating such a unique idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cupcakes.
    I was just browsing on your flikr site and saw you are taking Wilton classes. I am in course one and just learned the clown last night. Yours are adorable.
    Have you taken anymore courses??
    What did you do for your final cake?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:18 PM

    WOOOWWW I loved your site ..i have to try ur recpies ..they r so unique..
    B.S.E

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the world, Little Aidan! He's adorable. And many stay-safe thoughts/vibes for Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Must try these. And is that a way cute American bulldog I see peeking over the table? Yup, looks like it. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:29 PM

    Is that ever an adorable baby boy, and the cupcakes are pretty darn cute, too.

    All my bestest and safest wishes for Aiden's daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish Jason the best. He will be in good company there as my brother is also deployed. And I know what you mean about killing time when it's rainy and cold in DC. I have found myself idling away in Target (just past CCity) or P.Mall because cabin fever had set in at home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i recently won a TON of cow tales in a drawing at chick-fil-a...

    anywho, i have a new blog about cupcakes, and i LOVE your blog. i linked you and i was wondering if you wouldn’t mind linking me…?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cupcakes are adorable! Where did you find the little cows to go on top?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:56 PM

    Hey CQ! I just wanted to make sure you're okay. No posts in a long time...rather unusual. I hope all is well! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not to worry...and thanks for worrying...we have been super busy at the university getting ready for our 9th annual Maryland Day which went off without a hitch on Saturday! More than 64,000 folks showed up. A colleague and I did a photo shoot of our card-board Testudo with lots of people. Here are the photos of that: cardboard testudo....I'm in one of the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cassie:

    You have a grreat blog going...I'll definitely add your link to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Cow Tales. I buy them at Michaels (yes, the craft store!). Now my kids love Cow Tales. Thanks for the recipe. I love Cow Tales.
    ~Risa
    P.S. I love Cow Tales.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I finally made these todat for a Halloween party and OMG, the frosting is just about the best thing I've ever had! Tastes a lot like the middle of a See's Candy Bordeaux (west coast treat). Thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Has anyone tried this recipe... and is it any good?

    ReplyDelete