Week 50: Midnight Maddness Cupcakes!



This is how they looked when I got to work!


These Midnight Maddness Cupcakes are another recipe from the new book Cupcakes Galore by Gail Wagman. It's a three part cupcake....batter, filling and frosting. You make the filling...put it aside and then make the batter. This photo shows what the batter and filling look like...

Here's what the cupcakes look like when they come out of the oven! The cupcake is chocolate and the filling is cream cheese, chocolate chips, vanilla, vegetable oil, and sugar.

I made some mini cupcakes and decorated them with pink sanding sugar....

I found these cute cupcake liners on the web...they actually wrap around the real cupcake liner...they don't go in the oven...but here's the kicker about these fun cupcakes: the frosting is BLACK...hence the midnight maddness...Pretty cool looking, too. However, if you make these cupcakes with black frosting, beware...you and your cupcake eaters will get a black tongue from the frosting!

Also, don't forget to submit your comment to my "Win a Dozen Cupcakes from the Cupcake Queen" contest...the deadline is 9:00 p.m. (EST), April 23, 2006.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! Now I'm hungry! I have a couple of questions: 1) where did you get those beautiful lacy liners, and 2) how did you get those translation buttons at the top of your blog?

    You may have inspired me to start baking again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:59 AM

    I've been remiss in my postings, CQ, but not for lack of interest. However, these dark delights forced me to stop working and say something.

    I don't even want to eat one. They're beautiful in a way only your black cupcakes could be, and your wrappers are a beautiful touch.

    Sniff, only two weeks left...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:38 PM

    Oh, creamed cheese. How you make me swoon. CQ, you didn't mention how they TASTE. Are they as good as they look? The liner attachments (?) are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surcie: OMG...they taste awesome...but I think next time i will forget the black icing. it's really distracting because it's kind of messy and it really does make your mouth black...who want's to worry about that? A nice dark chocolate frosting would be great

    One good thing about this cupcake recipe is that you don't ever use electric beater in the batter...it's just beaten with a wooden spoon...to the batter bakes up really well. The filling is so easy to make and adds a fantastic flavor to to the cake...it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ava:

    Here's where I bought the cupcake liners from: http://www.traylorpapers.com/cuwr.html

    They aren't cheap...you get 10 for $8.00...they just wrap around the cupcake.

    My translation buttons come from google. You can just copy my code or check out google translations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I love them! I really dig the liners. I am totally making these for my b-day. Would mind if I copied?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:12 PM

    I love those liners.So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:56 PM

    Just lovely! You really are the Cupcake Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You never seem to fail us with your beautiful cupcakes! I love those liners, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:01 PM

    CQ, did you see last night's episode of The Next Food Network Star? I tuned in because I saw them making cupcakes. They had to create a theme around several cupcakes and then teach a "class" at Sur La Table on how to decorate them. Not one of them did a particularly good job, IMHO. You would've won that competition hands down!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:12 PM

    Hi Cupcake Queen-Is there any way (or place) I can get the recipes from weeks 1-45??? I'm fairly new to the site, but LOVE the recipes I've discovered so far. I hope you decide to do another 52 weeks, as this is such an awesom site!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. (gasp!) loooove those starry cupcake paper. Ack! Where can I get some?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barb:

    Here's where I bought the cupcake liners from: http://www.traylorpapers.com/cuwr.html

    They aren't cheap...you get 10 for $8.00...they just wrap around the cupcake.

    CQ

    ReplyDelete
  14. kpomp25:

    You can find most of the recipes here:


    http://www.accordingtolayla.com/pdfs/

    They are all in pdf format.

    CQ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love LoVe LOVE these! Very gothic indeed. AWESOME! ;)

    ReplyDelete