Week 31: Lemon Meringue Cupcakes and the Mini-Magnolia

This awesome cupcake recipe is from The Artful Cupcake by Marcianne Miller. It has four parts: make the cupcakes, stuff the cupcakes, meringue the cupcakes, and then you get to torch them! It all took quite a while but it was so much fun.


I made the cupcakes on Saturday night so that I could have at least one thing done. Then on Sunday, around 2;00 (earlier I had to make a visit to the Montgomery County Refuse Center (the dump) to get rid of all of our recycleables left over from this past week and then of course, I had to stop at Target to see what was going on there...I was there at least 2 hours roaming the aisles. I heard some lady talking on her cell phone that she was STILL in Target...I knew just what she meant. I was talking to my Mom on my cell phone while I was in Target and I felt someone pull my sleeve...it was someone from my office...I'm always meeting people I know in Target) anyway, back to the cupcakes. I really did follow the recipe except for this one thing. I made a pie crust and crumbled it up in the lemon curd so that there are bits on crust in it. I got this idea from the Pumpkin ice cream that the University of Maryland Dairy makes...they put pieces of pie crust in the ice cream and it is delicious!...So, I dug a little hole in the cupcakes and squirted in the lemon curd (with pie crust pieces) and then put the top back on. Then I made the meringue...which took quite a while to turn into meringue...and then I frosted the cupcakes.

The best part was fooling around with the torch! It only took a minute to figure out how to do it so that it didn't burn...but once or twice I had to blow out the fire on the cupcake. Then, at first I wasn't sure how to turn it off and I was basically pointing this torch around the kitchen (not even pointing at the cupcake anymore) looking for the off switch! The house is still standing and all the meringue goo has cleaned up nicely. They are really lucious!


Story Number 2: My brother, Jim, lives in Spokane, Washington, Unfortunatley, he is an ardent fan of the Gonzaga basketball team and whenever they play Maryland, we bet on the game. It happens that Maryland was playing the Zags on Monday, Nov. 21 in the Maui Classic. The bet was whoever loses has to make a dozen cupcakes and fed ex them overnight to the winner. He has been dying to get a hold of one of my cupcakes and I think he paid the team to play even better than they ever had to beat the Terps and they did!


I decided to make the Magnolia Bakery's vanilla cupcake recipe because it's one of my favorites and hard to mess up, too. I made their basic vanilla frosting recipe, turned it pink and added peppermint.mmmmm. It's really great! I've never fed ex'd overnight. I'll let you know how it goes.

With the left over batter, I made what I'm calling "Mini-Magolias." They turned out so cute! People at work: you don't get any of the minis...sorry, you have to be content with the Lemon Meringue Cupcakes. Download this recipe HERE

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:09 AM

    Oooo! These make your teeth hurt just looking at them. I like the lemony squoosh in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:03 AM

    Those look so good.I love anything lemon.
    Emily aka biscuits and blues

    ReplyDelete
  3. golightly:

    I used peppermint extract. These cupcakes are definitely a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:46 PM

    These sound awesome. What a lucky brother!

    Hey, Queen, did you read what this month's Washingtonian said about Warren Brown's cakes? Not very positive. (page 159)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surcie:

    What's Up? I did read that and I also read a not so complimentary article about his cupcakes/cakes in the City Paper about a week and a half ago. Have you ever had any of his cupcakes? We had some in the office a few months ago and they looked great but just did not taste that good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:10 PM

    Go Zags!

    Love,

    Mary H. and your bro, Jim H.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:00 PM

    Yummmm!! Will you be posting the recipe soon? I can't wait to try these!! Thanks for giving me inspiration!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:34 PM

    Where in the heck did you get that box with dividers to mail the cupcakes? I have to know how you packaged your cupcakes to mail them. Pleease share the secret with me :)

    info@kissmybundt.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:15 PM

    please please please post the recipe for this cupcake:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:08 AM

    i cant download the file..i dont know what's wrong with my pc..i would appreciate it if you could email me this recipe at kitte308@yahoo.com, btw, im from the philippines :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:37 PM

    I noticed this "blog" (I think thats what its called) was posted back in 2005 so don't know if I can get a response this late date, but just in case, I'm wondering the same thing as an earlier entry and that is: How can we send cupcakes safely in the mail? ...because it looks like "Cupcake Queen" used some sort of special cupcake divider in her packaging.
    If anyone has any helpful ideas, I'm all ears... please mail suggestions to dianarobot@yahoo.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:18 PM

    lovely. how did u send ur cupcakes so perfectly! i am amazed. please do share...
    kissingeden@gmail.com
    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete